What is the difference between cleaning and disinfecting, and should you be doing both? Cleaning removes dirt and particles while disinfecting kills viruses and bacteria.
And yes, you should be doing both. You should be cleaning BEFORE you disinfect any surfaces.
Here are some tips on cleaning and disinfecting your home:
- Focus on areas where germs are most likely to spread.
- Wear disposable gloves. Gloves should be thrown away after each use. If you are using reusable gloves – make sure those are dedicated to cleaning.
- Use a detergent or soap and water on hard surfaces.
- Prepare a bleach solution by mixing
a. 5 tablespoons (1/3 cup) of bleach per gallon of water OR
b. 4 teaspoons beach per quart of water
- For soft surfaces such as carpets, rugs, and drapes – remove any visible dirt and clean with appropriate cleaners.
Click here for more tips.