The National Alliance on Mental Health (NAMI), one of RNDC’s Charities of Choice, offers these suggestions for remaining connected to your social network during social distancing.
- Schedule regular calls with friends like you would schedule a work meeting. If you can, make them video calls, using FaceTime or Skype, Zoom, or other video-calling options.
- Start a text or email chain with friends about good articles to read, videos to watch, podcasts to listen to, songs to listen to, etc.
- Catch up with old friends by email, phone, or on social media platforms.
- Play online games with friends using apps, such as Words with Friends.
- Start an impromptu virtual book club with a friend or group of friends, by starting to read the same book together, then check in to discuss it.
- Start watching TV shows or movies at the same time with friends, then check in to discuss them.
- Call or video-chat with friends while taking virtual tours together of museums, national parks, and live-streamed concerts.
- Plan a virtual dinner party using FaceTime or a video-conferencing option.
- Friendly with your neighbors? Plan to meet up outside at a safe distance for daily check-ins.